Sunday, April 06, 2008

My first 10K, Richmond, and I missed live soccer

Yesterday the day finally arrived, my first ever 10K race. I ran Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10K in Richmond, and finished a lot better than I expected. A great, relatively flat course that went up and down historic Monument Avenue. I was very impressed with the whole organization of the race, the setup, how they started 32,000 participants in waves, you name it. Music selections were great too: at the start of the race I heard a cover of Iron Maiden's "Running Free". As I ran, bands played many songs; "Wild Flower" by The Cult and my favorite Tom Petty song "Mary Jane's Last Dance". Good times, and I finished the race with faster mile splits than I started, as I expected because of the crowds at the start.

I enjoyed my brief stay in Richmond, from my post-race beer at Capital Ale House to seeing the Virginai State Capital, to my room at the Crowne Plaza, and to the hill I walked up twice on Main Street. Nice little downtown area, the "Fan" is a great little area filled with what seems like great shops and restaurants, and plenty of hills if you want to get in a running workout. I'm going back in November for the half marathon or likely 8K. And perhaps sooner.

I didn't have a proverbial dog in the hunt in last night's game, but I went to see DC United dismantle Toronto FC, who no offense to the Canadian Fans, is not very good. Not really a competitive game, heck DC scored in minute two, aided by some disorganized defending. But I realized that I hadn't seen a live game since July and missed it. If last night is any indication, Santino Quaranta has actually decided to be a professional player. I didn't expect that. I'm going to another game Wednesday, DC United vs Pachuca of Mexico.

Another 10K next Sunday. Running is my new skiing.

No comments: